Fast Cars Make Me Furious
Ok, I know I already made a post on driving, but this is a continuation of my driving experience in California. Can we say FAST, FAST, FAST??? Dear Lord, I almost had a heartattack yesterday trying to drive to Emeryville yesterday. Now that I have Isaac in the car it makes me more nervous. I think I did an OK job of keeping up to speed and stayed in the slow lanes unless I had to pass someone slower than me (Yes, that is possible...sometimes).
Isaac and I were driving to Emeryville to meet Daddy. The plan was to meet there after Daddy's work to go to San Francisco to meet with the immigration lawyer. We wanted to avoid taking two cars into the city. Ed had given me directions to get there and I also had a map. But I guess I got a little confused amdist the fast driviers and constant freeway changing because I found myself at the Bay Bridge toll booth. I started to freak out because I wasn't sure if I had any cash to pay for toll. Luckily, I was able to scrounge loose change from my wallet and coin box. I called Ed and left a message to not meet me in Emeryville anymore and to just head into the city.
To top that off, I was low on gas. Being stuck on the bay bridge with no gas was not my idea of fun, especially with Isaac in the car. So I started to pick up my speed so I could make it across without any stopping. Good thing there was no traffic. I made it across safely and went to a gas station right away. Then I had to decide on where to go. I left a message for Ed to meet me at Jon Sims (where we practice every Sunday) since that was the only place I knew how to get to. But once I talked to him, he didn't feel comfortable with us staying in that area. Hmmmm...I wasn't feeling too comfortable with that either. (I am the most paranoid person in the world.) So I ended up driving around in circles as instructed by my husband until he came to meet us at the Metreon. We made it to the appointment safe and sound. Afterwards, we treated ourselves to some good beef steak sandwiches at the Buckhorn in the Metreon.
So to wrap it up here are some of the things I learned from my experience:
*As soon as the light turn green, it means GO. As in "GO" the second it changes or else you'll get honked at. (I admit I used to do this back home...but that doesn't count)
*Never wait until the pedestrians have finished crossing the street before turning or else you'll get honked at.
*Pedestrians always have the right of way even though it is not their turn to walk. (Some guy had the audacity to stare me down as he was SLOWLY crossing the street even though it was a green light for me.)
*Apparently, turn signals have no use in the state of California. (And my husband can vouch for that
All in all, I feel a little more confident about driving to and within the city now, especially with a baby in the car. But I still think that California drivers need to simmer.
Isaac and I were driving to Emeryville to meet Daddy. The plan was to meet there after Daddy's work to go to San Francisco to meet with the immigration lawyer. We wanted to avoid taking two cars into the city. Ed had given me directions to get there and I also had a map. But I guess I got a little confused amdist the fast driviers and constant freeway changing because I found myself at the Bay Bridge toll booth. I started to freak out because I wasn't sure if I had any cash to pay for toll. Luckily, I was able to scrounge loose change from my wallet and coin box. I called Ed and left a message to not meet me in Emeryville anymore and to just head into the city.
To top that off, I was low on gas. Being stuck on the bay bridge with no gas was not my idea of fun, especially with Isaac in the car. So I started to pick up my speed so I could make it across without any stopping. Good thing there was no traffic. I made it across safely and went to a gas station right away. Then I had to decide on where to go. I left a message for Ed to meet me at Jon Sims (where we practice every Sunday) since that was the only place I knew how to get to. But once I talked to him, he didn't feel comfortable with us staying in that area. Hmmmm...I wasn't feeling too comfortable with that either. (I am the most paranoid person in the world.) So I ended up driving around in circles as instructed by my husband until he came to meet us at the Metreon. We made it to the appointment safe and sound. Afterwards, we treated ourselves to some good beef steak sandwiches at the Buckhorn in the Metreon.
So to wrap it up here are some of the things I learned from my experience:
*As soon as the light turn green, it means GO. As in "GO" the second it changes or else you'll get honked at. (I admit I used to do this back home...but that doesn't count)
*Never wait until the pedestrians have finished crossing the street before turning or else you'll get honked at.
*Pedestrians always have the right of way even though it is not their turn to walk. (Some guy had the audacity to stare me down as he was SLOWLY crossing the street even though it was a green light for me.)
*Apparently, turn signals have no use in the state of California. (And my husband can vouch for that
All in all, I feel a little more confident about driving to and within the city now, especially with a baby in the car. But I still think that California drivers need to simmer.

5 Comments:
this is why I hate driving in the city, even though I'm a native!! don't worry, you'll be a pro soon enough :) bev
By
bev, at 3:34 PM
Girl, there are just MEAN people on the streets ALL the TIME... I always seem to drive around them too! Just don't go postal on the road, like I used before I had kids!! heheheee
By
Anonymous, at 2:24 PM
your driving - one of the many things that i miss about having you here, i learned a lot of new words with you behind the wheel - back then we were the ones telling you to simmer, hehe...=)
tina, just be thankful you don't have to drive in RICHMOND anymore!!!!
By
cristina, at 2:29 PM
I notice a lot of people who drive fast. Fast to me is above 80mph.
By
Gary, at 9:27 AM
well..at least you're not driving in LA...they throw driving rules out the window in that town. good job making it thru the city with baby in tow, i'm sure u'll be fine with more practice...
By
triple5funk, at 10:11 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home