Life According to Mrs. Cruz

Saturday, August 07, 2004

On Being a New Mama - Part II

Before I finish the birthing story, can I just tell you that my little munchkin is growing up so fast? We took him to the doctor's the other day because he already has a little bit of the sniffles and a cough. Poor thing, he got the nasty cold from me and we have been miserable for the whole week. But we are doing better now... Anyhoo, the nurse weighed him and to our surprise, he was already 9lbs 8ozs! That basically means he has gained almost a pound a week! Where has the time gone? I know he's growing so fast. Ed and I are really trying to treasure these moments when he isn't able to move on his own yet. Isaac has already started making baby sounds here and there. We love hearing the occasional "Agoo" or "Acoo" instead of those usual grunts when he needs to go poo poo. I love my boys! I really wish my family and friends in Canada can share these experiences with us. We are hoping to come and visit soon. But it's a good thing that in 4 more sleeps, my family is coming to visit us here for a whole 10 ten days! We are so excited! I think I am the most! I haven't seen them since April!

Well, back to my story...

By the time I was 7cm, I was thinking that the end was near. I would have a little baby in my arms in the next half hour or so. But that was not the case. My doctor finally arrived and she ruptured my membranes or broke my bags of waters. Was that ever weird! There was a lot of fluid coming out of me! The contractions kept getting harder and harder. Picture me not wanting to be touched or breathed on. I feel bad for Ed and Mira because I must have snapped at them once or twice. At one point, I asked the nurse if I could have the epidural because I was so frantic. She knew I really didn't want it and convinced me to hold off and take a relaxer instead. Well, the relaxer did calm me down and I was able to focus on my breathing again. Ed told me later on that when we were breathing together and focused on each other, he knew that my mind was somewhere else and was looking beyond him. The pain was so bad.

But I made it to 10 cm and then the nurse gave me the OK to start pushing. "Dear Lord, it's about time!" So the pushing began. I am not even sure how long I was pushing for but I am pretty sure it was at least an hour and a half. During that time I was in different positions to get the baby out. Everyone kept telling me that they could see the head and to keep pushing...Damnit! I was pushing as hard as I could! But hardly any progress. The doctor finally said that the baby was face up and said that she was going to start trying to turn him so that he was facing my back. OMG!!! When she stuck her hand in and started to try and turn the baby, I was screaming! I think that was the loudest I ever got! It was painful, especially on top of a contraction! She tried to do that at least 3 times and still no change. This is when they decided that it was too exhausting for me and that I had no choice but to get the epidural. I heard whispers around me and people saying that the baby might get distressed. That's when I started to freak out. The tears started rolling. But everyone reassured me that it was going to be okay and that once I get the epi it would be much easier. Yah right!

The anaestheseologist took so long to get there. In the meantime I was still having contractions and the nurse had told me to stop pushing. But I couldn't stop pushing when I felt the urge, so you know what I did...yup...pushed. The poor baby's heart rate kept going down each time I had a contraction. It was scary. Everyone kept telling that that was normal. But at that time, I didn't think so. So the tears again rolled down. Finally the anaestheseologist arrived and gave me the epi. It wasn't so bad. I didn't really feel anything. Besides, any other pain could not compare to the pain I felt when that doctor had her hand where it wasn't supposed to be. We had to give the epi a half hour to kick in. Once it did, it was a life saver. I didn't feel any contractions anymore. However, one draw back was that I was shivering uncontrollably the next half hour or so.

The doctor came back and then that's when I started pushing again. They had to tell me this time when I was having contraction because I couldn't tell. But even with the epi, Dr. Martinez was still not able to turn the baby. Again, the whispers started happening around me. I just said, "Can't we just do a c-section?" Dr. Martinez was like, "Yes, I'm sorry. That's what we'll have to do." I couldn't believe I got myself into this. Everything I didn't want to happen, happened! What did I ever do wrong in this world! So the next step was to prepare for surgery. Ed was allowed to be in the room with me. It was so weird to be wheeled out of the birthing room and saying good-bye to everyone. I could tell by the look in their eyes that they were scared for me. I felt like I was leaving them forever. As an avid ER watcher, the worst was obviously going through my head. I remember telling Mira not to tell my own Mom that I was going in for surgery because I knew that Mira's Mom had been in contact with her. She would have had a heart attack. So I was wheeled away into the operating room with a whole new team of surgical staff. While they prepped, I lay there scared out of my mind and still shaking from the epidural. Ed was not allowed to be in there with me when they were prepping. I knew he was probably freaking out just outside the room.

They finally let Ed in and within minutes I was cut open and I could feel tugging and fluid on my tummy. There was so much pressure in my abdomen. But no pain. Soon I heard Dr. Martinez trying to pull out the baby and I asked, "Is it ok? Is it a boy or a girl?" Finally she said, "You have a boy!" Ed and I looked at each other and the tears started rolling. Within seconds I heard crying and was very relieved. But I didn't see him right away. Ed was able to see him all covered with the vernax and watched the nurses as they suctioned him and cleaned him. Once he was all clean, they brought him to me and I cried and was so amazed at how white the child was! But so beautiful! My goodness, all that was definitely worth it. Ladies, I went through everything! The little guy was just too stubborn to come out the old fashioned way. What an ordeal but how I love the little guy that caused it all. Isaac and Ed are my world! If I had the chance, I wouldn't change the experience one bit.

Did Ed happen to mention to any of you that Ed saw all of my insides? I know...ewww gross...

5 Comments:

  • what a scary story...I'm not having kids anytime soon! although, I must say, I got choked up at the end :) bev

    By Blogger bev, at 12:35 PM  

  • Hopefully when the second or third time comes around it will be easier. AJ was a c-section, but I had Mio the old fashioned way w/ drugs!!! It was an experience for both, and as long as they are healthy, it doesn't matter how they enter the world!! Hope Isaac is feeling better!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:54 PM  

  • That was cool, although don't talk about seeing your insides, I had fod poisoning this past weekend and I literally threw out my insides (ok just the food) but it felt like my insides. Hope Isaac is better (and you too).

    By Blogger Big Sexy, at 8:30 PM  

  • wow, tina, thank you for sharing your story...

    By Blogger Bryan, at 1:47 AM  

  • phew, i am glad to finally hear the whole story! i can't wait to see you and ed and baby LIVE hopefully soon!

    By Blogger cristina, at 9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home