Life According to Mrs. Cruz

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Baby Boom

I don't know what it is in the water these days, but it seems like everyone around me is having babies. I have at least 3 friends in Vancouver that are expecting. Ed has a few friends here that are having babies too. It's baby mania!!! I guess it's a good thing because then our baby will have lots of kids to play with. Actually it is pretty exciting!

Speaking of babies, Ed and I were at his friend's house for a BBQ and the topic of discussion was the placenta. For anyone who is pregnancy illiterate, the placenta is the "after birth". It is something that basically comes out of a woman after she has given birth to a baby. (Hence, "after-birth"...duh??) During pregnancy, it is what provides the child with life inside the womb..blah blah blah... ANYWAY, there are certain superstitions that stem out of the placenta. Superstitions that people carry out and make them inevitably bring the placenta home. Ewwww...gross!! I am sure some mothers out there know what a placenta looks like. I, don't plan on looking at it at all. It's supposed to look like a bloody deflated football. I did catch a glimpse of one in one of the videos from our Prepared Childbirth classes and it was pretty gross. There was good reason why I dropped out of nursing to become a teacher and that is because I can't stand the sight of anything gross, like internal body organs. I don't care if a placenta will give a child good luck if you place it underneath the gutter of your house or if using it as a plant fertilizer is good for growing trees. There is no way I am bringing my baby's placenta home.

5 Comments:

  • Bev's dad caught some fish yesterday, and they had little babies (I thought fish laid eggs?) - Anyways, there were at least 5 or so little fish in each big momma fish. I bet I saw fish placenta.

    I wonder if anyone has cooked placenta? Now that would be gross!

    By Blogger Gary, at 11:56 AM  

  • ...and I HAD to read this just as I was about to go for lunch...thanks T!!!! :P

    By Blogger cristina, at 12:48 PM  

  • Hi Tina, its Genee (Genevieve)...anyways, i was reading somewhere that people are starting to freeze placentas just in case their children ever need stem cell or bone marrow transplants. I don't know too much on the subject, but i just remember watching some special on tv about it. But i think it costs a grip to freeze them...they store them for 50 years...Anyways, I hope you're doing well!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:34 PM  

  • Placenta?!............YUCK! :O

    By Blogger Big Sexy, at 11:41 PM  

  • They even have a "delivery time" for when you pass the placenta!! When I heard the doctor calling out another time after Mio was born, I was thinking, "I DID NOT have twins, did I?!!!!"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home