Life According to Mrs. Cruz

Thursday, December 09, 2004

A Sigh of Relief

My Mom had emergency bypass surgery about six years ago. The surgeon had to reroute 5 arteries at that time. It's funny because she had that surgery done around this Christmas season too. I remember that I had finals at the time and was so stressed out over the situation. Obviously, my Mom survived and recovered well. Fast forward to six years later...

My Mom was scheduled to be here last July when Isaac was born. Before she was scheduled to leave, she knew that she wasn't feeling like herself. The shortness of breath came back, she experienced high blood pressure and she was very tired after doing small routine things. So, she went to see her cardiologist. Inevitably, due to her heart condition, the doctor told her that she would not be able to fly. My Dad had called me to tell me the bad news, and being the pregnant emotional person that I was, I was devastated. My mom was not going to be there for the birth of my first child. (My Mom has yet to see one of her grandchildren being born. She missed both of my brother's children's births too.) At the same time, I had to be strong for her because it was probably hurting her more than me. Ed and I were able to send her and the family a video of the day Isaac was born and that seemed to help. Isaac and I were also able to visit her last September for 3 weeks too.

Since that appointment, my Mom has had other appointments to determine the absolute cause of her condition. She's been on new medication that has helped control her blood pressure. But she still referred to herself as a "walking time bomb". I knew she was scared that she could have a heartattack at any time. The final test two weeks ago, finally determined that she would need surgery. I told her to let me know when the surgery would be so that I could arrange to be there.

So she calls yesterday and says that she is scheduled to have an angioplasty TODAY! I was in shock! Why didn't she tell me before? She said that the doctor had scheduled her for the surgery two weeks ago but refrained from telling her. (Knowing my mom, maybe she either forgot or just wasn't listening, But who knows, maybe the doctor didn't tell her.) Nevertheless, she had the surgery today and my dad was with her the whole time. I told him to call me as soon as the procedure was done. There are always complications to these "routine" operations. (I see it on ER all the time!)

I was on edge every time the phone would ring. I was running to the phone each time it did ring hoping it would be good news. She went to the hospital around 9am and the procedure was only supposed to last a half hour. But due to prepping and back up, they didn't get started on her until 4pm. I could just see my mother on edge too, wondering when they were going to get started on her. The WAIT kills! Well, I finally got a call from my dad around 6pm and YES, it was good news. Everything went well and she should be home tomorrow, he said. THANK GOODNESS!

I can't wait to see her and the rest of the family next week. I miss them all. I am especially happy that my Mom will be doing a little better. She does have to improve her diet and definitely exercise more. I think she also needs to learn not to stress out so much over little things. I know that I've learned a lot from her and appreciate her more so today. Love ya, Mom!

4 Comments:

  • It must be soo hard waiting for news from far away! I'm glad your mom's okay!! :) bev

    By Blogger bev, at 11:13 AM  

  • I was holding my breath the whole time I was reading. Whew! I am so glad everything is ok. It was probably better that you didn't know earlier because you would have been totally stressed out.

    By Blogger Mur, at 11:14 AM  

  • that is great news, tina!!! i'm sure seeing you three next week will be the best medicine ever...

    By Blogger cristina, at 12:18 PM  

  • That's awesome news Tina, I know exactly how you feel. Doctors had found a non-cancerous growth pressing against the spinal cord of my mom the night before I was scheduled to leave for Hawaii 3 years ago and went under the knife right about when I was boarding the plane. She made my dad promise to make sure I didn't miss my trip and my whole first week there was pretty much wasted because I was so anxious about not being home. Rhoel.

    By Blogger R, at 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home