Phew!
I had an appointment with my OB last Monday. My doctor is one of those old school type of Filipino doctors that goes by the book with everything. There's no small talk or chissmiss during appointments and just gets straight to business. There is a simple, "How are you? How is the baby?" and I answer her back pleasantly. She doesn't really explain what she's doing unless I ask and her explanations are short.
When I was in Vancouver, I first started seeing my sister-in-law's family doc/OB during my pregnancy with Isaac. This lady was amazing. She was actually a Mom of one of my brother's and mine's classmates. She remembered us too back in the day so she treated us like family. She was gentle, soft spoken and very comforting. I felt so at ease with her. She was always asking about my family and how we were all doing and she would update me on her kids. It was a good relatonship. So, when I first came to my doctor here, I was a little hesitant. With her being Filipino, I thought, "Cool. She'll be warm and hospitable." But she wasn't. Up to this day, she is still the same. In the beginning, Ed tried to talk to her in Tagalog and you'd thnk she'd respond in Tagalog but she always responded in English.
Don't get me wrong, she is obviously good at what she does because she did help bring my little Isaac into this world. But if it wasn't for my calming nurse beside me (and of course my wonderful hubby), I think I would have gone crazy. Anyway ya'll know what happened with Isaac's birth. Back to last Monday...
I go in last Monday for a routine check-up. I am sitting in the exam room patiently waiting. My doctor comes in, "Hello. How are you? How's the baby?" My response, "Hi. Good and good. How are you?"... small talk continues. After taking my blood pressure, she asks me to lie down. She starts poking at my bare tummy and gets the doppler. I know she is trying to find the baby's heartbeat but isn't saying anything. After about a minute of poking and feeling around, I ask, "Did you find the heartbeat yet?" She responds, "Hmmm... not yet." So after five minutes, she stops looking and feeling around. I am WORRIED. I have never had this problem before and I know what she is trying to do. I was scared. I told her that I had scheduled an ultrasound for Thursday. She said, "Good. Good. I'll have them send over the results right away." I explain to her that I am leaving for Brazil next week. She says, "Okay. Okay. We'll take care of everything before you leave." I am freaking out (What the heck needs to be taken of before I leave?), so I ask, "Should I be worried?" She responds, "Oh, the placenta could be in the way. I can hear the fluid, so that's good. We'll see after the ultrasound." But to me that wasn't a good enough answer. I guess she didn't want me to worry, but it was too late for that. I also hated the fact that I was there by myself. Ed would have asked more questions. I was too chicken to find out the different possibilities.
So this whole week, I have been nervous and on edge wondering if my little baby was still alive in there. I was doing research on the internet and started to wonder if I did anything to cause a miscarriage. I was basically driving myself crazy. The good part about it all was that I wasn't spotting, still felt sick to my stomach and my little belly ain't so little anymore. I just needed the ultrasound to confirm the baby was okay.
Thursday rolls around and I am nervous about the ultrasound. I had to drink 32ozs of water before so my bladder was pretty darn full as I was waiting. Nervousness and needing to go pee are not a good combination. My appointment was at four and they didn't let me in until 4:20. I was dying to pee. So the lady let me relieve myself a little. It's the worst when you have to pee and are only allowed to pee a little to relieve the pressure. I finally got to lay down onto the table and the lady started to do her thing. Ed was watching the screen. I couldn't see it from my point of view. I was watching both of their reactions. Ed then commented on how he saw the baby moving. Was that a good sign? It obviously was because the lady had no look of worry on her face. She finally moved the screen so I could see too. I saw all the limbs and even saw and heard the heartbeat. What a relief!! Technology is so cool! We took home one picture of our little one. No, we don't know the sex just yet because it is still too early to tell. The lady did give us her prediction and she is usually 80% correct, so she says. But we'll see when we go back for our second ultrasound at 22 weeks.
Wow! This ended up being a long post... hope you made it to the end. So sorry if it tied up your time.
When I was in Vancouver, I first started seeing my sister-in-law's family doc/OB during my pregnancy with Isaac. This lady was amazing. She was actually a Mom of one of my brother's and mine's classmates. She remembered us too back in the day so she treated us like family. She was gentle, soft spoken and very comforting. I felt so at ease with her. She was always asking about my family and how we were all doing and she would update me on her kids. It was a good relatonship. So, when I first came to my doctor here, I was a little hesitant. With her being Filipino, I thought, "Cool. She'll be warm and hospitable." But she wasn't. Up to this day, she is still the same. In the beginning, Ed tried to talk to her in Tagalog and you'd thnk she'd respond in Tagalog but she always responded in English.
Don't get me wrong, she is obviously good at what she does because she did help bring my little Isaac into this world. But if it wasn't for my calming nurse beside me (and of course my wonderful hubby), I think I would have gone crazy. Anyway ya'll know what happened with Isaac's birth. Back to last Monday...
I go in last Monday for a routine check-up. I am sitting in the exam room patiently waiting. My doctor comes in, "Hello. How are you? How's the baby?" My response, "Hi. Good and good. How are you?"... small talk continues. After taking my blood pressure, she asks me to lie down. She starts poking at my bare tummy and gets the doppler. I know she is trying to find the baby's heartbeat but isn't saying anything. After about a minute of poking and feeling around, I ask, "Did you find the heartbeat yet?" She responds, "Hmmm... not yet." So after five minutes, she stops looking and feeling around. I am WORRIED. I have never had this problem before and I know what she is trying to do. I was scared. I told her that I had scheduled an ultrasound for Thursday. She said, "Good. Good. I'll have them send over the results right away." I explain to her that I am leaving for Brazil next week. She says, "Okay. Okay. We'll take care of everything before you leave." I am freaking out (What the heck needs to be taken of before I leave?), so I ask, "Should I be worried?" She responds, "Oh, the placenta could be in the way. I can hear the fluid, so that's good. We'll see after the ultrasound." But to me that wasn't a good enough answer. I guess she didn't want me to worry, but it was too late for that. I also hated the fact that I was there by myself. Ed would have asked more questions. I was too chicken to find out the different possibilities.
So this whole week, I have been nervous and on edge wondering if my little baby was still alive in there. I was doing research on the internet and started to wonder if I did anything to cause a miscarriage. I was basically driving myself crazy. The good part about it all was that I wasn't spotting, still felt sick to my stomach and my little belly ain't so little anymore. I just needed the ultrasound to confirm the baby was okay.
Thursday rolls around and I am nervous about the ultrasound. I had to drink 32ozs of water before so my bladder was pretty darn full as I was waiting. Nervousness and needing to go pee are not a good combination. My appointment was at four and they didn't let me in until 4:20. I was dying to pee. So the lady let me relieve myself a little. It's the worst when you have to pee and are only allowed to pee a little to relieve the pressure. I finally got to lay down onto the table and the lady started to do her thing. Ed was watching the screen. I couldn't see it from my point of view. I was watching both of their reactions. Ed then commented on how he saw the baby moving. Was that a good sign? It obviously was because the lady had no look of worry on her face. She finally moved the screen so I could see too. I saw all the limbs and even saw and heard the heartbeat. What a relief!! Technology is so cool! We took home one picture of our little one. No, we don't know the sex just yet because it is still too early to tell. The lady did give us her prediction and she is usually 80% correct, so she says. But we'll see when we go back for our second ultrasound at 22 weeks.
Wow! This ended up being a long post... hope you made it to the end. So sorry if it tied up your time.

8 Comments:
Phew is right! Glad to hear all is ok!! :)
By
cristina, at 11:46 AM
phew from me too! i was on edge reading your post, but i'm so happy to hear baby and mommy are fine. :-)
By
Bryan, at 12:05 PM
glad everything is ok!! :)
so, are you going to tell us what the doctor's prediction was? or shall we set up a poll and guess! :)
By
bev, at 12:32 PM
Man, I was holding my breath until the very end! Glad to hear all is good.
By
Mur, at 5:38 PM
I was hoping to read a happy ending!!! I'm glad you're all doing fine!
By
Mel, at 1:24 PM
Girl I had to read it twice cuz I tried to speed read the first time to get to the end!
I'd change that doctor though!!! My delivery doctor never ended up being my regular visit doctor for both births, and 1 ended up being a guy (but I was too drugged out to care plus I had my WHOLE family there watching!!)
By
Anonymous, at 11:00 AM
I'm really happy to hear it was all clear. That is extremely nerve wracking.
By
laragitara, at 2:29 PM
Man, I was in suspense the whole time! Don't do that!
As for the Doctor, maybe she's Vulcan.
By
Gary, at 9:22 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home